Plight of women

My heart cringes at the injustice of it all. Am I destined to a life like that? Are women everywhere destined to a life like that?


I always heard my mom speaking about it while I was growing up. I saw it happening all around me in each and every household. But I never quite related to it. I was a detached audience. Never believed that one day I would be going through the same machinations. Rather it would be expected of me.


That as a bride and a wife I should abide and follow all decisions taken in the household unquestioningly. Irrespective of the fact that they may be right or wrong. Irrespective of my happiness quotient involved. I should consider myself beneath my male counterparts and my only aim in life should be to serve them. I do not have a right to speak my mind. I should accept chauvinism as my second skin. I should sacrifice and surrender at each point of my life. I should suffer in silence. And even after doing all this I should be prepared to be treated as an outsider all my life. Coming last after everybody else!!!


Where is my home then? Surely not at my parent's! And if it's here in my new home then why my integrity, my priorities and my judgment are examined. I will do it all, willingly if I want to, for the betterment and growth of the family, out of my love and care. So why does it has to be poured down my throat life this!  


Why are we educated then? Why are we told we are equals? This would have been far easier on me if I would have been told to shut off my free thinking equally intelligent mind. I reckon it must be easy for those women who have not known otherwise or who have been brought up for a similar role.


The double standards and hypocrisy of it all sickens me! This is a social malice. This is how society functions. But I refuse to be part of it. I refuse to be trodden all my lifetime.


I don’t think I am a feminist. I have never thought about women empowerment and gender equality. Neither am I preaching anything here. My issue is more basic. It's about me as an individual. It’s about my right to make my own personal choices and decisions. It’s about my self-respect. It’s about my survival. Surely I can be trusted with my own life!


Am I asking for too much? Am I selfish? Am I too liberated? Or is each one of us in the same predicament.

Comments

  1. Phirti Thi Hawaaon Mein, Par Lagte Thay Paaon Mein
    Zindagi Band Pinjron Mein Kiyun Aaj Rehti Hai
    Neendon Ke Sandooqon Mein Kabhi Sone Ke Sapne Thay
    Aaj Peetal Ke Tukrron Ko Mohtaaj Rehti Hai....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts